Tuesday, April 4, 2017

The Truth is:

 
Thoughts for Cheri
April 4, 2004
Deuteronomy 1:29-33
 I tried to relieve your fears:
“Don’t be terrified of them. God, 
your God is leading the way;he's fighting for you. 
You saw with your own eyes what he did for you in Egypt;
you saw what he did in the wilderness,
how God, your God, carried you as a father carries his child,
carried you the whole way until you arrived here.
But now that you’re here, you won’t trust God, your God—
this same God who goes ahead of you in your travels 
to scout out a place to pitch camp,
a fire by night and a cloud by day to show you the way to go.”
“Israel was afraid to follow God’s leading.  I don’t want to be afraid to follow Him as He guides me.  I know He has a plan for my life and that He goes before me to prepare the way, gives me direction to show me the way, and carries me as I travel the way.  Why should I fear anything?”
“As I look back over my life I see the way He has provided for and carried me through the trials and dark times.  I see the ways He has prepared me for all I have encountered, good or bad.  How could I even imagine for one minute that He would fail me now?  I choose now to trust Him with my present and my future and to step out in faith in my heart and mind on the path He has chosen and prepared for me.  I don’t know where it leads but I surrender all to Him.”
This was written on the one year anniversary of the end of my marriage, the day my world changed forever.  I love the imagery in these verses.  I see exactly what God has done and is still doing for me in my life.  Just like He carried the Israelites in Egypt, He carried me in my marriage.  I could write a book on the opportunities, gifts, answered prayers, and so much more that He provided for me and my kids during those years in our “Egypt”.  I look back in amazement at all of the times He allowed me to learn and serve even in the midst of that life.  I’m very grateful.
This day in 2003 marked for me the beginning of my time in the “wilderness”.  I didn’t know where I was going or what I would do when I got there.  I will say for myself that, unlike the Israelites, I wasn’t afraid to trust God.  Satan did try to use fear to discourage me but my faith enabled me to move forward towards my promised land.  I know for a fact that God has gone before me to “scout out a place (for me) to pitch camp”.  I haven’t had a “fire” or “cloud” to lead the way but I have had prayer, scripture, family, friends, and events to guide me as I’ve traveled.  I’m very grateful.
Why should I fear anything?”  God’s word tells me over and over again to not fear, be afraid, or anxious, or worry, whatever term you choose to use.  For me this simply tells me to put my faith in Him and trust His hand in my life.

“As I look back over my life I see the way He has provided for and carried me through the trials and dark times.  I see the ways He has prepared me for all I have encountered, good or bad.  How could I even imagine for one minute that He would fail me now?  Good question.  When something is proven true over and over again why would I doubt it?  There have been people in my life who have been there for me most of the time but because they’re human or because of circumstances sometimes they let me down.  I let people down more than I like to recall.  The only One who has NEVER disappointed me is God.  When human frailties, worldly situations, and my own shortcomings cause me pain or sorrow or disappointment He’s there loving, comforting, and guiding me.  He knows just exactly what I need when I need it.  I’m very grateful.
I keep saying I’m very grateful and I am.  How do I show this to my Father?  I live a life that pleases Him.  I allow people to see the difference He makes in my life.  I’m not ashamed of the gospel and of the Savior who died for me.  I don’t live a “personal” Christian life but I share Him wherever I go in every way I can.  I don’t allow hardships, disparaging comments, or even persecution deter me from allowing the light that is Jesus Christ to shine in and through me.  I give Him all the praise and glory for what He’s done in my life.  That’s what being a Jesus follower means. 
“Don’t be terrified of them. God, your God, is leading the way; he’s fighting for you.”  This is how I’ve chosen to live the last 14 years and how I want to live the rest of my life; unafraid and trusting my God who is fighting for me.  I pray you choose the same.
Father,
You took care of me in my Egypt.
You provided for me in my wilderness.
You go before me into my promised land.
I will not fear!
Thank You!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment