Monday, April 3, 2017

What are some



Thoughts for Cheri
April 3, 2004
“’Loneliness:  the surprising opportunity to know God.’”
I cannot remember where I read this quote.  It was too many years ago and I didn’t note the source.  I know it spoke to me because I wrote it down. 
I was lonely in my marriage.  I longed for the intimacy God created man and woman to share in marriage.  I always knew something was missing but couldn’t seem to change anything.  That’s what I was seeking to do in the months before this as I sought God’s leading and help with my marriage.  I knew He was changing me and I prayed that my husband was also changing.  Unfortunately that was not to be.  As sad as this is there is something wonderful that came out of this yearning to fill the lonely times.  My relationship with God deepened and became sweeter as the days went by. 
What have I learned over these years of being lonely?  For one thing the loneliest place I can be is in a crowd.  I’m seldom lonely when I’m at home alone.  I’m an introvert so I welcome these times to recharge.  However, some of my loneliest moments have been at church when I’m sitting alone or when I watch families leave together after worship.  When I’m sitting alone I’ve learned to focus on the presence of God who is with me as I praise Him through voice, ears, eyes, and mind.  After church is a little more difficult.  I allow myself to feel the sadness and I give it to Him.  By the time I reach home He’s reminded me that I’m not alone ever.  Then I walk into my apartment and there’s this precious little puppy who’s overjoyed to see me.  What a blessing she is in my life.
 
I’ve also learned that when I feel lonely all I have to do is lift my prayer to my Father and He hears.  There have been times when His presence is so real I can feel His loving arms around me.  Other times He’s brought someone into my life with whom I can fellowship.  It may be through a shared meal, a phone call, or a simple hug but He never lets me down.  This is the reason I try to always be aware of those around me and to give a smile or a sweet greeting.  Sometimes I get a smile or a hello in return.  Always I believe it’s made some kind of difference in a life.
The greatest gift I’ve received through the gift of loneliness is “the surprising opportunity to know God”.  My relationship with the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has deepened and become my lifeline.  The Father is there to provide for and protect me.  Jesus is my Best Friend who intercedes for me and reminds me that I am loved by the One who died for me.  The Spirit comforts, guides, and corrects me as I face each day in the world.  I have known God all my life but the trials and loneliness of the past 14 years have affected that relationship in ways I cannot explain.  He’s with me.  Always!  Often when I’m spending my quiet time in the morning I sense the presence of Jesus sitting in the chair across from me.  I believe this based on His own words:
The truth is we all have times when we are lonely.  God placed a longing in each of us for a relationship with Him and nothing this earth has to offer can satisfy it.  Not even the most wonderful human relationship can come close to a deeply intimate relationship with our Creator.  Thankfully when He placed this desire in each of us He also gave us promises in His word to fulfill that desire:
 
My plea with you today is that if you don’t have this intimate relationship with God, if you’re seeking to fill that void in all the wrong places with all the wrong things stop.  Seek God and He will be found.  Allow Jesus to enter your life and you will never be the same again.  His word guarantees this and my life is a living testimony to it.
Father,
Thank You for the gift of loneliness.
You have blessed me richly in my loneliest times.
Open hearts that are seeking to Your truths.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment