Thursday, December 1, 2016

Fanning the Flames of Faith

Journal Entries:
December 1, 2003
“I am sad today.  Cried tonight.  I will not let Satan win-I will trust in God!  ‘Lord, I am clinging to You.  Please help me.  I love You’”
December 2, 2003
“I am struggling.  I feel sad & angry & tired.  I want to quit trying.  I desire to learn to rest in the Lord.  ‘Please help me, Father!  I love You!’”
I love the ebb and flow of life.  I love that God gives us good days in the midst of the hard ones.  As I look back over this first year after my divorce I see times of such deep sadness and anger and weariness.  That’s what these days represent.  “I am sad today.  Cried tonight. “I am struggling.  I feel sad & angry & tired.  I want to quit trying.” 
However, I also see God’s hand on my life even on these difficult days.  “I will not let Satan win-I will trust in God!  ‘Lord, I am clinging to You.  Please help me.  I love You’ I desire to learn to rest in the Lord.  ‘Please help me, Father!  I love You!’”  I assure you these words did not come from my own strength.  I know me better than anyone else does.  I remember how helpless and sad I felt back then.  That’s why going back and reading my journal has lifted my spirits and amazed me so much.  I see God’s hand in every part of my life.  The words I wrote reflect His loving presence even at my lowest points.  I am so very thankful for the faith that has carried me through some dark and difficult days.  
I know this is a familiar psalm but if you're hurting today please read it slowly and allow the words and the images to wash over your weary soul:
When you go through a deep valley, and you will if you are still breathing, the faith you’ve developed over time is what will carry you on your way.  Even when you feel like you’re alone, IF you have trusted in Jesus as Savior AND Lord of your life you are never alone.  THE Shepherd is right there with you.
I’m not just spouting pious words.  I’ve lived this.  Not just years ago either.  I’ve lived this in the past week when I walked through a valley of feeling forgotten and uncared for.  I knew I wasn’t because I have so many people in my life who love and care for me that there’s no way this could be true.  However, sometimes the pain and fatigue from my fibromyalgia and arthritis beat me down and Satan whispers in my ear that I don’t matter to anyone.  God knows better and He provided just what I needed.
The night that I felt the worst my sister and my daughter called me.  As soon as I heard their voices the tears came.  They let me cry and listened to my heart.  They didn’t tell me I shouldn’t feel that way but assured me of their love and concern.  I was still in pain and tired but my spirit was encouraged. 
If you’re hurting today please know God loves and cares for you.  If you ask Him to bring someone into your life to help you, He will.  He Himself will be there if you will in faith call out to Him.  Don’t allow Satan’s lies to bind you.  It just takes a spark of faith to ignite the flame that can grow into a burning passion for knowing and serving God.  Let His Spirit light the fire of faith in you.
Father,
I don’t know why You love me like You do but I’m thankful!
Please touch the lives of hurting souls in the world.
Allow them to experience the joy that comes from faith in Jesus Christ.
In His Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment