Thursday, December 8, 2016

Desires from God

Thoughts for Cheri:
December 3, 2003 continued:
“I have decided that after the first of the New Year I am going to take a hard look at my life; all aspects of it.  I want to see where I am and determine where I want to be spiritually, emotionally, financially, and career wise.  I believe God is going to reveal some wonderful things to me soon.  Maybe this is why I am going through this time.  I know Satan is working overtime to discourage me.  I am not going to allow him to do that.  I will keep trusting no matter what.  I just think it is time to get on with my life.”
"I am bored in my job.  I want to be doing something with people.  Especially those who are hurting.  I really have no responsibilities except myself.  Most people are not as free as I am right now.  I want a job with a flexible schedule where I can visit people in the hospital, at nursing homes, or just do other ministries.  I wouldn’t mind some travel.  I don’t know if this makes sense and I don’t even know where to start looking.  I just know this is the desire that is in my heart right now and I have truly been seeking God’s will so I have to trust it is from Him unless and until this desire changes.”
“I am also trying to determine if I am to go back to school.  I am willing but I don’t want to do it just because.  I truly desire to do what God wants me to do.”
Let’s examine what I asked for and see how God answered my request. 
“I want to be doing something with people.    I really have no responsibilities except myself.  Most people are not as free as I am right now.  I want a job with a flexible schedule where I can visit people in the hospital, at nursing homes, or just do other ministries.”  Okay, I just smiled and shook my head when I read this portion.  Six months after I wrote this I was hired by a Baptist church as a ministry assistant and backup receptionist.  Then a couple of years later I became the fulltime receptionist as well as ministry assistant.  I’ve been at this job for 12 ½ years now and I am truly blessed.
Now let’s dissect this request and God’s provision.
 “Doing something with people.”  I work with people from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.  Co-workers, church members, visitors, people from groups who meet in our building, delivery people, and on and on.  I greet, answer the phone, call people, call hospitals, and on and on.  I am blessed to be able to interact with, to greet, to assist, to hug, to say a kind word, to make a small but important difference in people’s lives all day long.  Request granted!
“Especially those who are hurting.”  Jesus reached out to the hurting of this world, the sick, the lame, the broken-hearted, anyone who needed a healing touch.  He commissioned His church to be His hands and feet.  The church is not a building, it is the body of believers who serve God.  Every one of us is broken in some way.  Life does that.  As church receptionist I have the privilege of not only helping people who are hurting or needy but of assisting pastors and other members whose mission is to do the same.  Every day gives me opportunities to make a difference in someone’s life.  It may simply be a smile or a hug but more often it’s providing an answer or a listening ear when needed.  Request granted!
“I want a job with a flexible schedule where I can visit people in the hospital, at nursing homes, or just do other ministries.”  It’s a “no” to the flexible schedule.  It’s a “no” to the visit people.  However, my job is a ministry and it is a joy.  I’m ministry assistant to the Senior Adult Pastor and I maintain our hospital list, keep up with homebound and nursing home ministries, and take care of informing pastors, deacons, teachers, and others of needs in our congregation and their families.  And I don’t have much opportunity to visit people but lots of people visit me.  Request granted!
“I don’t know if this makes sense and I don’t even know where to start looking.  I just know this is the desire that is in my heart right now and I have truly been seeking God’s will so I have to trust it is from Him unless and until this desire changes.”  At the time I wrote this I truly had no idea of what to do or how to go about finding this.  I do know that for several years it had been my desire to work in a church.  I had even applied for a church position a couple of times.  However, God’s timing is perfect, mine is not.  I really didn’t try to force anything.  I kept my options open and told Him I was willing to go wherever and do whatever He wanted.    The desire I had grew over days and weeks to come and I continued to seek His will.  I’ll write later about how He opened the doors wide for me.  For now it’s wonderful to remember that I did delight in Him and He is still giving me my desires.
“I am also trying to determine if I am to go back to school.  I am willing but I don’t want to do it just because.”  Thankfully, His answer was a resounding “NO”!  I would go if He asked but I have no desire left for this.  I’m content with my job and my life while being open to any opportunities He brings my way.   Isn’t that how His child should live?
Father,
Wow!
Thank You for the desires of my heart.
Thank You for Your perfect timing.
Thank You for this life You’ve given to me.
Your blessings abound.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment