Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Normal

Random Thoughts

Journal Entry from May 3, 2003

“Tim and I spent the day in Winchester at Bill’s dad’s house.  Very restful.  Carter (he was a baby) took a nap on me while I lay on the couch.  It was wonderful.  Went to Bill’s cousin’s house to watch the Kentucky Derby and have pizza.  Took Tim home to his new apartment in Bardstown.  This morning when I picked him up was the first time I’ve seen it-it’s really nice.  Got to Ann’s-washed clothes and read the paper.  I am going to Southeast Christian Church with the Berryman’s in the morning.  ‘Lord, please guide me and help me to find a place to live soon.’”

I was going to include several day’s entries when I started this post.  However, after reading this I was struck by how normal I sounded and how great this day was.  I promise you that in later entries some days will not be so great, some will be downright terrible, and some will be downright wonderful.  But isn’t that life?  We have good days and bad days, easy days and hard days.  I’m so thankful that God in His mercy and wisdom gives us “normal” days to enjoy in the midst of trials and difficulties.  I see these days as opportunities to breathe, to catch our breath so we can face the next day that may be the hardest one yet.
I also look at the references to people in this entry.  Tim, Pat, Bill, Rebecca, Carter, Stacy, George, Jenny, Maddy, Ann, Hilda, and Bob are the names of people who touched my life this day, by their presence, their welcoming spirit, and/or anticipation of being with them.  So many times in the coming days, weeks, months, and even years I remember feeling so very alone.  Just this simple brief journal entry reminds me I was and am never alone.  God has surrounded me with people who love me, who care about me, and who will be there for me.  And even if for some reason they cannot be, He is ALWAYS with me, ALWAYS for me, ALWAYS loving me!
I also see the variety of activities.  Driving to and from Winchester with my son was a treat.  Spending time at Stacy’s house was always special.  Knowing I was welcome as part of the family meant so much to me.  Resting with a baby sleeping on you is always a treat and I remember feeling peace as I lay there listening and feeling his quiet breathing.  Time with family and friends laughing and eating pizza was healing for me.  Seeing the nice place my son was living in was reassuring about his life and gave me a hope about finding my own apartment.  The normalcy of washing clothes and reading a paper was grounding.  The anticipation of attending worship with a wonderful Christian couple gave me a reason to look forward to the next day. 
Looking at this entry today has given me a renewed desire to look at each day of the rest of my life for the blessings, big and small, given by a gracious loving God.  I realize that too often I’m so wrapped up in my pain or problems that I overlook all the wonders God bestows on me each day.  I want my motto to be:

Father,
I close this posting by asking You to bless each reader with things great and small.
Touch lives with a whisper, a prayer, and a hug.
Daily bring Your love, peace, and joy into each life.
In Jesus’ Precious Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment