Monday, February 13, 2017

A Valentine that Matters!

February 12, 2004
Thoughts for Cheri:
“Last night I was thinking that sometimes I still just want to curl up in a ball in my bed so no one can touch me or hurt me.  No one did anything to me; just sometimes when I think about all that has happened and what he did to me, I just want it all to go away.  This feeling does pass and I jump right back into lifeI have been thinking about Jesus and how He must have felt knowing what He was facing.  Yet, He kept going and serving and loving.  All He had to do was say the word and His Father would have taken Him home.  Instead, He stayed and fulfilled His mission.  I don’t know what my future holds but I know it will in no way compare to what He experienced.  And He did it alone; I don’t have to because the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are always with me.  What an awesome thought!”
I am amazed again at the words I wrote 13 years ago.  Not amazed at me; amazed at a God who loves me so much that He placed in me the faith and assurance to be able to write these thoughts.  These words came from the Holy Spirit who has guided me every step of the way my entire life.  He placed in my heart and mind reminders of the love Jesus showed to me through His life, death, and resurrection.  I’m so grateful.
Scripture records the words of Jesus as He taught His disciples:
These were hard words for them to hear and they didn’t understand.  For me they are sweet words to my ears, not because Jesus suffered these things but because He suffered them for me.  He knew what His mission was and He obeyed in spite of the price He would pay.  He paid it so I wouldn’t have to.  What a wonderful Savior and Friend is He!
“I don’t know what my future holds but I know it will in no way compare to what He experienced.  And He did it alone; I don’t have to because the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit are always with me.  What an awesome thought!”
A Holy God cannot look on sin.  That’s why we are separated from Him in our sinfulness.  Jesus came to change that once and for all.  To do this He had to take upon His sinless self the sins of the entire world.  His blood shed on that cross was the sacrifice needed to cover those sins.  This meant that God had to turn His back on His only begotten Son for this period of time.  For the first and only time Jesus was totally alone, separated from the presence of His Father so that I wouldn’t ever have to be.  When I accepted this sacrifice and made Jesus Savior and Lord of my life His blood washed me clean in the eyes of His Father.  He will never ever leave me alone.  His presence goes with me everywhere.  This is all because Jesus Christ was forsaken in my place.
An old hymn by Philip B. Bliss came to my mind as I wrote this:
“Man of Sorrows!” what a name
For the Son of God, who came
Ruined sinners to reclaim.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Guilty, vile, and helpless we;
Spotless Lamb of God was He;
“Full atonement!” can it be?
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Lifted up was He to die;
“It is finished!” was His cry;
Now in Heav’n exalted high.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
When He comes, our glorious King,
All His ransomed home to bring,
Then anew His song we’ll sing:
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Please, if you don’t know this One who willingly sacrificed His life for you, call out to Him.  He’s waiting for you right now.  His love is enough.  This seems very appropriate for today:

Father,
I don’t understand why You sent Your Son for me.
I don’t understand why He willingly came for me.
I am just thankful You did and He did.
Hallelujah!  What a Savior indeed!
In His most precious Name,
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment