Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Relationships

February 6-7, 2004
Journal Entry:
“Mary Ellen and I registered speakers and committee members-it was fun.  Supper and then the session.  Laughed and cried.  Lisa Harper is so wonderful.  I’m so thankful God gave me the opportunity to know her.  We all congregated in Catherine’s room and talked.  Good time.  Pat and I went to bed at 12:30 a.m.  Up at 6:30 a.m.  Went to Catherine’s session and she really spoke to me.   Ate lunch with Pat, Rebecca, Laura, Lisa, Tiffany, and Catherine.  Large sessions were wonderful.  I have been so blessed.  Back to Pat’s house, talked some, and to bed.”
Thoughts for Cheri:
“The whole retreat was wonderful.  God blessed me through all that happened there.  I met some wonderful people.  Several of them became very special to me:  Catherine, Wanda, Laura, Lisa, and Tiffany in particular.”
The words that were spoken this weekend were great.  But from reading my journal and my thoughts I realize the important part of this weekend for me was the relationships that were formed.  I became much closer to my sister and my niece Rebecca.  They became friends as well as family.    Catherine and Tiffany, mother and daughter, became family as well as friends.  And for the first time I met Laura and Lisa, best friends of Rebecca’s who today call me Aunt Ginny and have become my nieces.  My time with Mary Ellen and Wanda made a profound difference in my life.  I also spent time with other wonderful Christian women who all touched my life in a special way.  This was truly a blessing for someone who was craving sweet relationships. 
God created us for relationships.  He placed a longing in each of us to connect, first with Him and then with others.  We were not meant to be alone.  We were created for community beginning with Adam and Eve.
From this union came the family.  Family supported me through my struggles as I healed.  And family introduced me to many who further encouraged me on my journey.  I could not have done this alone.  I know I’m never alone because God is always with me, but sometimes I just need a person I can touch.  God has given me that in abundance.  He is so good!
These relationships have also taught me how to be a better mother, sister, aunt, and friend.  Their unwavering acceptance of me through the good and bad was an example of God’s perfect acceptance of me as I am.  Their love even when I was unlovable was a picture of God’s perfect love for me shown through the sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ for my salvation.  The seeds sown this weekend have sprouted, bloomed, and rooted deep in my life.  It’s a weekend I’ll never forget.
Father,
You created in me a yearning for relationship.
You provided a way for me to have a loving and eternal relationship with You.
You place family in friends in my life who offer sweet relationship.
You are awesome!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment