Thursday, February 2, 2017

Gifts

Journal Entry:
February 2, 2004
“I’m still on the verge of tears.  Cried on the way home.  Rested, watched a video, and walked.  As I write this at 9 pm in bed I feel better.  God is faithful!!  God is good!  ‘I love You!’”
“God is faithful!!  God is good!”  I love how this message is repeated over and over again in my journal.  I take no credit for it even though I did write it.  Let me explain.
Everyone who accepts Jesus as Savior professes faith in Him and in God’s word.  Scripture tells us that:
That’s what faith in Christ’s life, death, resurrection, and promise of an eternity with him is all about.
Scripture also tells us that through His Spirit God gives different gifts and ministries to His chosen ones. 
Now there are different gifts, but the same Spirit.
 There are different ministries, but the same Lord.
 And there are different activities, but the same God activates each gift in each person.
 A demonstration of the Spirit is given to each person to produce what is beneficial:
to one is given a message of wisdom through the Spirit,
to another, a message of knowledge by the same Spirit,
to another, faith by the same Spirit,
to another, gifts of healing by the one Spirit,
10 to another, the performing of miracles, to another, prophecy,
to another, distinguishing between spirits, to another, different kinds of languages,
to another, interpretation of languages.
11 But one and the same Spirit is active in all these, distributing to each person as He wills.
1 Corinthians 12:4-11
I know now that one of my gifts is faith.  Since childhood I’ve just always known that God is going to take of me.  This kind of faith has been defined as simple confidence in the promises of God.  That doesn’t mean that my life will be perfect and if you’ve read any of this blog you know that’s so.  It does mean that whatever my circumstance He’s in control and He’s taking care of me.  It means that I can look at a situation and see possibilities and not difficulties.  I rely on prayer first and doing what God leads me to do after I pray. 
Looking back over the life I’ve lived I’m amazed at the things God enabled me to accomplish even in the most difficult times.  It’s because He gave me this gift of faith that I’m where I am today.  I hope that in sharing my story, in encouraging others, and in living the life He’s given to me others can see His mighty hand in my life and trust Him to do the same in their life.
My sister told me one time that “she lived her faith” needs to written on my tombstone.  I hope that’s true but all the glory goes to the Giver of good gifts, not to me.  I just hope He enables me to share that faith and hope in the days He’s numbered for my life.
I think this quote sums it up nicely:
Father,
You are such a loving God.
You do not leave Your child alone to accomplish Kingdom tasks.
Your Spirit gives to each of us the perfect gift(s) we need.
Teach us to use these gifts wisely to draw others to You and to build Your Kingdom.
Thank You!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment