Thursday, February 16, 2017

Covenant

February 13, 2004
Thoughts for Cheri:
“The fact that I’m divorced doesn’t bother me as much as it did because I realize now I was never married in the true sense of the word.  I meant my vows and I kept them but it takes two to make a covenant and he never meant his vows.”
“Covenant”:  a usually formal, solemn, and binding agreement.”  This word is found 316 times in the English Standard Version of God’s word.  I think it must be rather important to Him. 
God always keeps His word, His covenant with His people. 
Throughout history it’s been the people who have broken their word to keep His commands.  Like I said, it takes two to make a covenant”.  One cannot do it alone.  God always upholds His end of the promise but when we fail to do so we must reap the consequences.  The thing is, even when we do if we repent God is faithful to forgive and to restore our relationship.  He has promised:
Marriage is a covenant.  Two people stand before God and vow to love and honor each other “until death do us part”.  We all know marriages go through hard times but the ones that last are the ones in which both people honor the promises they made to each other and to God.  Jesus Himself spoke about the importance of this covenant.
I meant my vows and I believed the man I was marrying did too.  It wasn’t until years later that I found he did not.  He promised to love me and then told me he never had.  He promised to be faithful and was not.  He promised to honor me and did not.  That’s why I can say, “I realize now I was never married in the true sense of the word.”  God did not join us together because the promise made that day in 1971 was not true.  I know I was not perfect and there are things I would do differently in my marriage but I did keep my vows.  God blessed me for my faithfulness but He didn’t bless the marriage.  It’s really quite a shame because we could’ve had a wonderful life together if God had been obeyed and honored.
A covenant is and must be a sacred vow that is honored and holy.  I am so thankful that the covenant God has given to me through Jesus Christ is just that.  Jesus Himself referred to this at the Last Supper:
Unlike the covenant God made with Noah, Abraham, and other patriarchs, this blood covenant with Jesus cannot be broken by either party.  God made the promise that through acceptance of His Son we are covered by His sacrifice and nothing and no one can change that.  Again, scripture makes this promise:
Over the years people have broken promises made to me, some on purpose and some just because we’re all human.  I’ve broken promises I’ve made because I’m also human.  Isn’t is reassuring to know that there is one promise, one covenant that will stand forever because of One Man.
Father,
Thank You for Jesus!
In His Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment