Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Does God amaze you?

Question:
Thoughts for Cheri:
“Cheri wanted me to think about several concerns this week.  They included self-worth, abandonment, detachment, and shame & guilt.  It has amazed me to see God work in these areas this week.  Sometimes I wonder that I am amazed at God’s provisions for me, but at the same time I think He enjoys the amazement of His children; especially when we express it to Him through our praise and adoration.”
“I’m reading Every Woman’s Hope by Lisa Harper.  Her writings, many of my daily scripture passages, devotionals, and other resources have dealt with these topics.  I’ve been led to recall, confess, repent of, and discard the guilt for many of the sins I’ve been holding onto for so many years.  I’ve been encouraged and exhorted to accept the forgiveness God has already given to me.  I’ve discovered anew the marvelous fact that God love me just as I am.  I don’t have to perform for Him.”
“I’m being released from my need to judge others.  I think I did this for several reasons.  The most obvious one is that I was married to a very judgmental person and I felt pressured to agree with him always.  However, I’ve also realized that my low self-esteem caused me to judge others harshly because, if they were ‘bad’ it made me feel better.  After all, I wasn’t as they were, was I?  (Sound familiar?  Pharisee and Publican maybe?!)  Now I know that I cannot be ‘good’ enough.  There’s nothing I can do to earn God’s love.  But guess what?  He loves me anyway!”
“Blue words.”  I’m so thankful for Cheri’s insights and the way she heard my heart and knew how to direct me in counseling.  She listened to and read my words to discover the issues that were affecting my life.  She didn’t give me the answers; she helped me find them for myself.  That means so much more and leads to healing in ways that I can’t fathom.  Discovering truths for myself engraved them on my heart and soul more than if Cheri had spoon fed them to me.  She is a treasure.
“Red words.”  These kind of go together don’t they?  If you feel worthless you don’t believe you deserve anything good.  I look back and realize I almost expected to be abandoned by my husband.  I never felt secure in my marriage.  I was detached from life.  Later Cheri helped me discover when and why this happened.  Because I felt worthless Satan was able to shame me and lay all kinds of guilty feelings on me.  Yes, I was saved by the blood of Jesus but I wasn’t living the victorious life that His sacrifice gave to me.  I needed to be reminded that Satan is defeated and Jesus Christ is Victor! 
“Green words” Back to that old self-worth thing!  It’s funny how that works.  How I feel about myself determines how I treat others.  Being married to someone who was also judgmental added to my judgmental attitude.  It made my life easier to go along with him so I did.  It soon became a normal way of living.  It wasn’t a Christian way of living however.  It is so freeing to not worry about what others are doing and instead to live my life to please God.  Hopefully when I do that my actions will be a witness for Him and not a detriment to His work in this world.
“Light green words.”  I love how God knows just what I need to hear and deal with before I do.  Even today a verse or a devotion thought in my morning quiet time will prepare me for something I’ll face that day.  Or it will give me encouragement as I enter the day.  I remember that at the time I wrote this it seemed like everything I heard or read gave me guidance in all of these areas.  I’m so thankful for a God who knows my heart’s cry and provides an answer long before I know what I need.  He is truly awesome!
“Pink words.”  Isn’t this a freeing thought?  I don’t have to perform for God to love me.  In my marriage I felt like I had to act a certain way or do a certain thing and even then he didn’t love me.  God loves me no matter who I am or what I do. 
“For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.”  John 3:16. 
 Jesus’ death on the cross is testimony to the love God has for me.  It's also what determines my worth.  If the Son of God willingly gave His life for me I cannot be worthless can I?  Wow!
“Purple words.”  I enjoy being amazed by God.  Yes, I know He keeps His promises but because I’m a finite human and He’s an infinite God His power, mercy, grace, and love astound me daily.  I know as loving parents we enjoy surprising our children with unexpected joy.  How much more does our all-powerful Heavenly Father enjoy bestowing marvelous gifts on us?  We also like to be appreciated and thanked by our children for our humble earthly gifts.  How much more does our Heavenly Father deserve our praise and gratitude for the stupendous blessings He bestows on us each day? 
Father,
I have no words to express my gratitude for all You’ve done in my life.
  Thank You is not enough.
May my life’s actions reflect my thanksgiving and appreciation for Your presence each day.
You are truly an awesome God and I stand amazed in Your presence!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment