Friday, October 28, 2016

Voice

Thoughts for Cheri cont.:
November 11, 2003
“Cheri told me he took my voice.  But I allowed him to do that!  I do not want to do that anymore.  I desire for God alone to determine my voice; my thoughts, my words, my motives, my actions, every part of my being.  I must take responsibility for myself, not give that right to others.  Then God can truly begin to work in me making me the Ginny He created me to be.  What an awesome thought!”
How does someone “take my voice”?  Ridiculing, criticizing, and disparaging just about everything that is said or believed by a person will cause them to shut down.  That’s what happened to me.  In order to keep the peace as best I could I began being quiet and agreeing with whatever he said.  If you do that long enough you began to think the same way as the other person.  It’s a form of brainwashing.  It’s real.  But it’s not permanent.  There is One who can restore a voice that has been taken.  He is the only one who can do this.
Satan uses the things of this world to attack, deceive, and still the voice of God’s child.  Unfortunately the ones he can use best are those who are closest to us.  We listen to those voices; we care about what they say.  That’s why it’s so important to stay in God’s word, to spend time in prayer, to fellowship with other believers.  This is how we gain discernment to know what aligns itself with God’s word and what is not.  We also need to be careful with our own words.  Our voices must be used to encourage, teach, and build up those in our sphere of influence.  This doesn’t mean we don’t speak the truth.  On the contrary, we speak the truth with love but with firmness and faith.
“I desire for God alone to determine my voice; my thoughts, my words, my motives, my actions, every part of my being.”  Since He delivered me from this situation He has done this for me.  He taught me to rely on scripture, prayer, and the leading of the Holy Spirit to guide me each day.  When I do this God will be the one determining my voice.  I know this is true because there are days when I wake up not feeling so sweet and kind.  Every morning I spend time with God before leaving for work.  I always ask Him to help me be an encouragement to others but on those not so nice days I tell Him “God, I really don’t feel like being nice today so You please be nice through me.”  He’s never failed me yet.  By the time I reach church I’m able to smile and greet people with a voice of friendliness and kindness.  I’m telling you, we serve an awesome God!
God’s word tells me to:

I put on these “clothes” when I allow Jesus Christ to shine through me.  His presence is the force that gives me strength and wisdom to live a life that pleases the Father.  That’s the voice I want to share with this hurting world. 
Father,
You are the One who gave me a voice.
I am the one who chooses to use that voice to bless or curse.
Help me to always please You with the words of my mouth
And the meditations of my heart.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment