Wednesday, October 12, 2016

No More Night!




Today’s blog entry is not from my journal.  I haven’t posted in a few days because I’m on vacation.  Pat flew up from Georgia Thursday so we could go to the Gaither Fall Fest in Indiana last Friday and Saturday.  We were ministered by and worshipped with some amazing Southern gospel music, were blessed by a challenging devotional time with Gloria Gaither at breakfast Saturday, met some wonderful sisters and brothers in Christ, and just had a plain ole super time.  Add to that the spectacular scenery on the drive there it was an amazing experience. 
I know I’ve written about the influence that the Gaither’s music and videos have had on my life.  This weekend reminded me of how thankful I am that God brought it into my life well before I faced the challenges of my divorce.  There are days even now when I pop in a DVD or a CD and soak in the reminders of God’s grace, mercy, and love.  I was able to express my gratitude for their faithfulness in following God’s leading in their lives and sharing their talents to Gloria and others this weekend.  That was a special gift for me from God.
One of the most delightful experiences this weekend was truly a Godwink.  The Fall Fest was at the Gaither Resource Center in Alexandria where Bill Gaither grew up and where they now live.  Saturday we went on a bus tour they offered of this sweet little town.  The driver came to an abrupt stop right as we were slowing in front of Bill’s childhood home.  Suddenly he opened the door and we saw the top of a hat appearing on the steps. Bill was returning home to get ready for the concert that evening when he saw the tour bus.  He stood in the middle of the road and climbed aboard.  He spent about 15 minutes telling us about growing up in that house and answering questions.  It was an unexpected and delightful treat.  A Godwink for sure.
Saturday night’s Gaither Vocal Band concert was the culmination of the weekend.  Anyone who knows me knows how much I love this group.  And anyone who knows me knows that David Phelps is my absolutely favorite singer of any and every genre.  There is something about his voice and the way he loves the Lord that speaks deep into my life.  This present group as a whole is amazing.  Their love of the Lord and their desire to share His message is evident in everything they do.  The concert was inspiring in every moment.  However, the highlight for me was hearing David sing “No More Night.”  


As I grow older the message in this song means more and more to me.  This body of mine is wearing down.  Pain is my constant companion.  Forgetfulness plagues my weary mind.  When sin entered this world these amazing bodies God created began deteriorating leading to earthly death.  I am so thankful that because of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross and His resurrection this death is not the end of life for those who claim Him as Savior but the beginning of a beautiful eternity with Him in His kingdom.  When He returns in triumph we will receive new and perfect bodies that will experience none of the pain and hardships we’ve had here on earth.  What a glorious future we have promised to us!
Today if you don’t have access to this No More Night promise please cry out to the One who offers it.  Jesus is just waiting to hear from you.  His desire is that no one perish but that all have eternal life with Him.  That’s my desire too.
Father,
These bodies You have given to us are amazing.
The intricacies found in each molecule astounds us.
Yet, because of sin these earthly tents waste away and die.
I’m so thankful for the sweet assurance found in the sacrifice and victory of Your Son.
Eternal life, eternal souls, eternal bodies, and eternity with You.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment