Thursday, November 3, 2016

From Worthless to Beautiful

Thoughts for Cheri cont.:
November 11, 2003
“This week I have realized something else that has greatly affected me.  An issue concerning paying people complements for how they look or what they were wearing came up in my SS class.  This touched me deeply.  My ex never complemented me on anything unless I asked first.  Then the complement was lukewarm at best.  He never told me I was beautiful or even pretty.  It was always, ‘You look nice’.  I hate that word nice.  The kids would complement me more than he would.  Even after I had worked hard cooking a great meal (I am a good cook!), cleaning the house, or doing something special for him, he wouldn’t compliment me without me hinting or coming right out and asking.  It was as if nothing I ever did was good enough.  I tried to dress to please him but he never liked what I wore.  He wanted my hair long even though it doesn’t look good.  Yet, I let it grow and it still wasn’t good enough for him.”
“I try to complement people as often as possible.  I am genuine in this; I don’t say it if I don’t believe it.  Since I live alone and have not experienced much admiration I enjoy it when someone tells me I look good in something or that my hair is pretty or that I do something well.  I know when the ladies at church or someone at work tell me these things they mean it.  It helps my self-esteem since I lived without it for so long.”
I struggled with this part of my thoughts for Cheri.  I wasn’t sure where to go with it.  That’s one reason I took a mini vacation from my journey.  When I first read this it struck me as being self-involved but then I remembered where I was in my journey when I wrote it.  I had been psychologically and emotionally beaten down to the point I thought I was worthless.  I have come to the realization that it’s not wrong to enjoy complements, it’s wrong to allow them to puff you up and make you think you’re better than others.  We all need to feel loved and appreciated.  God made us that way.  When we feel demeaned and worthless we can be of no good to anyone else.  God word is full of beautiful love language to His children.  We as sisters and brothers in Christ should share in His love and appreciation for each other.  After all Jesus thought we were worth dying for didn’t He?
This morning during my quiet time I was thinking about this and had about decided to skip this part of my journey.  Then this verse came to mind:
I know it was from God.  I’m so thankful this is true.  How we look on the outside doesn’t reflect what’s in our hearts.  Our actions towards others reflects our hearts.  That’s why showing kindness and appreciation to others means so much. A kind word, a compliment, a hug, or a smile can brighten the day of someone who is hurting or who feels worthless like I did.  I know because I’ve lived it.  That’s why I so enjoy sharing kindness with others.  I like this so much because God has taken me from worthless to beautiful:
 
Find someone who needs a little Sonshine in his or her life today and spread it around.  You’ll be more beautiful than you can even imagine.
Father,
Your word tells me that kindness is one of the fruits of Your Spirit.
I want my roots to sink deep into Your love so that the fruit produced is sweet and tasteful.
I want Your Sonshine to brighten lives through my actions and words.
Thank You for the privilege I have of sharing Your live and kindness with others.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment