Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Mind Games

Thoughts for Cheri
November 19, 2003
“Cheri asked me to focus on 2 Corinthians 10:5.  I think this applies to fear.  I need to take it captive because it is a thing that is being raised up against the knowledge of God.  One commentary I read stated that ‘We live in a time when the mind is deemphasized and the needs of the individual elevated—so much that our generation has been dubbed the me generation.  By contrast, Paul affirms that the mind matters.  Indeed, it is so crucial that he focuses all his efforts on taking every thought captive and making it obey Christ.’  This is what I need to do with this feeling of fear.  It is just a feeling.  God’s truth is that I have nothing to fear because I am a child of God.  I must do as the verse says and destroy this fear by giving it to God.  When I start to feel it or think on it I need to bind it and give it to Jesus as a captive.  This is war with Satan and the thoughts he gives to me must be taken prisoner and presented to my Commander.”
“Lord, I take this fear and dread that is consuming me and I bind it with Your word and with prayer and give it to You.  You alone can release me from this bondage.  I reject Satan and submit to You.”
I’ve already discussed how Satan uses fear to discourage and deter me from serving God.  This is what I’d like to focus on today:  “One commentary I read stated that ‘We live in a time when the mind is deemphasized and the needs of the individual elevated—so much that our generation has been dubbed the me generation.”  This is even truer today I believe.  In our culture it seems to all be about “me”.  What’s in it for me?  What good will I receive from doing this?  How will this affect my life?  We even have ‘safe places’ for people who have their feelings hurt.  This is not just political, it’s in almost every aspect of life including too many churches.  We’re afraid of hurting people’s feelings so we don’t tell them the truth of the gospel. 
Jesus certainly wasn’t afraid to tell it like it is. 
He didn’t ever worry about how people would feel about what He said or did.  He obeyed His Father and spoke the truth.  We need to get back to that today.
“By contrast, Paul affirms that the mind matters.  Indeed, it is so crucial that he focuses all his efforts on taking every thought captive and making it obey Christ.”  I have learned over the years that my feelings can fool me.  I believe that’s what Satan uses the most to attack us.  If he can make us “feel” unloved, unworthy, unwanted, etc. he can keep us from living life as God desires.  He places these thoughts in our minds and we dwell on them instead of on what God has said.  What are we to think on?  His word tells us:
We do this by taking the negative thoughts captive and allowing Jesus remove them and replace them with His thoughts.  We become obedient to the One who suffered, bled, and died for us.  We obey the One who is preparing a place for us and who has promised to return to take us Home. 
I know it’s an oxymoron to say that when we place ourselves under His control we are free but it’s a fact.  You just need to trust.  You can pray as I did, “Lord, I take this (whatever Satan uses to attack you) that is consuming me and I bind it with Your word and with prayer and give it to You.  You alone can release me from this bondage.  I reject Satan and submit to You.”  He will answer.
Remember, Satan likes to play mind games with God’s people.  Thankfully, when we trust Jesus to be our Savior the game is won and victory is assured.
Father,
You replace negative thoughts with Your truth.
Jesus defeated Satan and evil on the cross.
Because of this I can live victoriously.
Thank You!
In His Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment