Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Encouragement in the Normal Things of Life


Normal Can Be Great
May 13, 2003
“1 Samuel 16-David and Saul.  God prepares the way for us.  Wonderful day!  Work was good.  Tim came-won WAMZ (country radio station) Mother’s Day contest.  I got a gold necklace & earrings and a $100 gift certificate to the Summit (shopping center).  I want to read his entry.   Got phone service set up.  ‘Thank You Lord for the people in my life-today especially Tim-please bless him in a mighty way.’”
May 14, 2003
“H’s birthday.  I tried not to think about it but every time I wrote the date I did.  It still hurts so much. “Please help me Lord!’”
May 15, 2003
“Work was as usual except it was so slow.  Talked with Ann after work.  Hilda called to check on me.  She and her family are so sweet to me.  Received a note from Pat and Bill.  God is blessing me with so many wonderful people.  ‘Father, help me to be a good friend.’”
May 16, 2003
“Cleaning day at work.  Tanya had her wedding pictures-they are really good.  I feel backwards off a stool-my back hurts.  Quiet evening.  ‘Father thank You for protecting me.  Thank You for Tanya’s marriage and her start to her new life.  Bless both Tanya and Roger.’”May 17, 2003
“Good day-left at 9 back at 3.  Shopped, looked, just enjoyed day.  Bought 2 phones and some other things I needed.  Had a relaxing evening.  Next Saturday night I’ll be in my apartment.  ‘Lord, thank You for daily blessings!’”
Looking back at those days:
Tuesday:  Started off great with God’s reminder that He was preparing the way for me long before I was born.  Then what a special moment!  Tim stopped by work to bring me the prize he’d won in a radio contest.  I didn’t even know he’d entered it.  He had to write something about his mother.  I realize that to this day I’ve not read what he wrote.  I don’t need to.  His actions over the past 13 years have proved that actions do speak louder than words.  I’m very thankful for the blessing he is in my life!
Wednesday:  Hard day.  I look back and see how far I’ve come.  Now on May 14th I may have a fleeting thought about what day it is but it doesn’t hurt.  In fact, there is gratitude for the freedom I have in my life now thanks to God’s mercy and deliverance.
Thursday:  Just thankful for good friends and family who have shown me so much love and caring over the years.
Friday:  Remembering how wonderful it was to work with my daughter.  Seeing her smiling face every day and knowing someone was close by who loved me and knew what I was going through was comforting.  She still calls me every single day to make sure all is well.  What a blessing she is in and to my life!  Oh, and by the way, the pictures were great!
Saturday:  My Saturdays when I was married were never my own.  I always was working and/or doing what he wanted to do.  I remember feeling guilty on Saturdays for so long after the divorce because I was actually doing things I enjoyed.  This was just the start of my realizing that is okay. 
Why is this important for me to look at each day?  When I started going back through my journals I wasn’t sure what form this blog would take.  Actually each day I just copy the entries and see what strikes a chord. Sometimes one day or one sentence jumps out at me.  Today the flow of this week spoke to me. 
 My takeaway from these few days is this:
I believe only someone who has been in any kind of a relationship where they were completely controlled by another person may understand how amazing normal days are.  This week reflects the ups and downs, the good and bad of life.  Any life.
The biggest blessings I see running through these posts are the people.  The love and encouragement I’ve received from so many over the years, even the hard ones when I was married, is one of the reasons it’s so important to me to be an encourager today.  In fact one of my favorite people in scripture is:
Joseph, a Levite and a Cypriot by birth, the one the apostles called Barnabas, which is translated Son of Encouragement…”
Acts 4:36
Ultimately in each person and event I see how my Father uses people, situations, circumstances, and just daily living to encourage His child.  It’s up to me to open my eyes, ears, nose, mouth, and skin to sights, sounds, scents, tastes, and touches that are all around me every day.  It’s also my responsibility to share that encouragement with others through a smile, a word, a flower, a tasty treat, or a hug. 
Scripture tells us to:
Father,
Thank You for encouragers in my life.
Remind me daily to be one to others.
In Jesus’ Name,

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment