Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Simple Things

It’s in the Simple Things

May 12, 2003
“Went to apartment after work and signed LG&E papers (electricity).  Spent ½ hour looking around apartment.  ‘Thank You Lord!  Help me to put You first in all that I do.’”
Simple day with simple activities people do every day.  Yet, for me everything was new.  Fifty-two years old and renting my own apartment for the first time.  I once said I think I did things backwards from a lot of other people.  I got married and went from living with my parents to living with my husband next door to his parents.  I never learned to be on my own, to think for myself, to make decisions and deal with the consequences of wrong choices or the satisfaction of right ones. 
 I had kids very young-three under age 4 before my 26th birthday.  I give all the credit to God for the wonderful adults they’ve become.  I do know as young and inexperienced as I was that I did give them all the love possible.  I also know that I protected them as much as I could.  If there is any regret from their childhood it’s that I didn’t do more, stand up more, and speak up more and loudly.  However, God has graciously allowed me to see that I did the best I could under difficult circumstances.  He’s enabled me to forgive myself and to let go of regrets. 
This period of my life was like being reborn.  I took my first steps to learn how to walk, how to talk, and how to function as an adult.  As I reflect on this day and others like it I see how my faith sustained me and how God guided me through each moment of each day.  He was the One showing me what to do but it was different than when I was married.  Then I was told what to do with no choice of my own.  God gives me a choice but when I choose His way I choose the way that’s best for me.  He loves me with a perfect love and will never take me down the wrong path.  This wasn’t true of the person to whom I was married. 
This was just the beginning.  God set me on a path that I’m still following.  The adventure has been filled with twists and turns I never saw coming.  In the days to follow I hope you see the many ways big and small, complicated and simple, that God has been there for me.  He has yet to fail me so why should I think He ever would.  Have I made mistakes?  Yep!  Has He allowed me to suffer the consequences?  Yep!  Have I learned from them?  Yep!  I also know that He has protected me over and over again from catastrophe.  And those are just the incidents I know about.  I expect one day in heaven to learn about the multitude of times He kept me from falling and/or failing. 
My hope is in God alone.  I’m so glad! 


Father,
Thank You!
In Jesus’ Name!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment