Thursday, July 21, 2016

Heartsick for Home

Journal entries:
June 22, 2003
“Wonderful Bible study and worship.  Went to lunch with friends from Bible study.  I am still struggling.  I feel like I want to go home but I don’t know where it is.  I know this world is not my home but I also know I am to be content.  I don’t want this sadness and fear-I want God’s peace and joy.  Had a nice talk with Carie and Haley.  Watched 101 Dalmatians and laughed.  That was good for me.  ‘Lord, please help me to surrender all to You.  Give me Your joy and peace-take away sadness and fear.  I love You’”
Home.  It can mean different things to different people.  When I reflect on my life I realize that for most of my marriage I never felt at home.  The only thing that made feel at home was the presence of my kids.  Otherwise I always felt like an outsider, someone who didn’t really belong.  Let me say there were people not in the family I married into who accepted and loved me and showed it in many ways.  I realize now that they were the ones whose friendships helped me survive and even grow in those years.  I don’t know where I would be today without those gifts from God.  I just remember always having this deep longing for home.
“I feel like I want to go home but I don’t know where it is.” In my journal I express that same longing for home and the frustration of not knowing where home is.  I liked my apartment.  I felt safe and comfortable there.  Many people had shown and were showing me love.  Yet, I longed for home.  Why?  I believe the answer to this is found in the words of Jesus:
“I know this world is not my home but I also know I am to be content.  I don’t want this sadness and fear-I want God’s peace and joy.” To provide this contentment, peace and joy I believe God gives us glimpses of home in family members who love and accept us just as we are.  He provides the fellowship of sisters and brothers in Christ who share a common bond with us.  As wonderful as these blessings are the truth is we are not at home in this world.  Once we accept Jesus as Savior our citizenship is firmly set in heaven.  Jesus Himself is preparing a place for us.  How amazing is that! 
So many people today are lost looking for home.  The rooms of this world are temporary and fail miserably to satisfy our longing for home.  Money, fame, sex, power, sports, people, etc. are all shallow pretenders that seek to woo us away from the place that is and the One who is truly our home.  The room in which we will reside in heaven is home. 
I am content in my life today.  God has placed me in a wonderful place with family, friends, dog, apartment, and job that I truly enjoy.  I’m rarely sad and can say I’m truly at peace.  However, that being said, I still long for home.  As I age my body is wearing out.  The things of this world do not hold the same attraction that they once did.  People I love have departed this world and are with Jesus.  I want to be there too.  As long as God leaves me here I will do my best in service to Him.  However, I am waiting with anticipation the day He calls me home!

Father,
What a joy it is to know that Your Son is preparing a place for me in Heaven.
I want to do my best for You while I'm in this world so please help me.
When I grown weary remind me that my home is waiting for me.
Thank You!
In Jesus' Name,
Amen 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment