Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Kindness: Pass it on!

Journal entries:
June 16, 2003
Hard day.  I can’t concentrate.  My lawyer sent him the new settlement.  Tanya bought me lunch. ‘Please let him agree, Lord’.  I didn’t go to divorce care-it’s too early for that."
June 17, 2003
Rough day-I am so tired in every way.  Went to dentist-I am finished!  Didn’t go back to work.  I felt so bad.  Got cards from a couple of friends.   That was so helpful.  Tim & Tanya both called.  ‘God, You have so richly blessed me.   Bring that to mind when I doubt and fell afraid.’”
June 18, 2003
What a day!  I was so angryBible study helped me.  The ladies are so concerned and understand what I’m going through.  ‘Father, thank You for friends.  Help me to learn how to be one.’”
June 19, 2003
Doing okay till afternoon-then the sadness hitMet a friend at White Castle and we talked-it was helpful.  Watched Gaithers and praised God-that was wonderful.  I am going to make it.  I need something truly spectacular and wonderful to happen right now.  I need a mountaintop experience.  ‘Lord, please send a miracle my way-not for a sign cause I know You are here but for a renewing of my spirit.’”
June 20, 2003
Work okay.  Went to Summit and bought some stuff for my apartment.  Just enjoyed being home.  Talked to my former Sunday School teacher for an hour.  She is such an encouragement.  ‘Father, thank You for friends old and new.’”
June 21, 2003
“Long day.  Cleaned apartment.  Talked to Pat.  Had another ‘meltdown’ in the evening-cried so hard my head hurt.  I forgot the picture albums at the house.  I am angry and hurt.  Pat listened and prayed for me-it did help.  ‘Father, please work a miracle in my life.’”
Rough week!  The words in red prove that.  Even the best day was just ‘okay’.  But notice that every day also has purple words; words that signify something good or uplifting that happened that day.  God used family and friends to encourage and minister to me every day!  The thing is, He didn’t make them do these things; His Spirit nudges people to act but there is never coercion.  It’s a choice we make when God asks us to do something.  I’m blessed because the people in my life choose to take the time and expend the effort to reach out to and help someone who was in pain.  
This is why we are here on this earth.  Our responsibility is to minister to the needs of others as God leads.  We cannot all be everything to everyone.  We can do our part when the Spirit dwells in us and guides us.  Some of the sweetest moments in my life have come from a hug or a smile or a simple kind word.  There are so many ways we can show the kindness given to us by God.
No matter where we are in life; age, health, financially, circumstances, etc., we can do something to show kindness to someone who needs it.  The only thing it will cost us is time and effort.  So why not decide today to open ourselves up to the Holy Spirit and ask Him to give us opportunities to be kind this day?  I truly do not know where I would be at this moment if it wasn’t for the kindness of so many people, not just over the last thirteen years, but throughout my entire life.  I want to make the same difference in someone’s life today.
I asked on June 19th for a ‘mountaintop experience’.  Reading this today reminded me that it’s not on the mountaintops that God encourages us the best and most; it’s in the valleys where wildflowers of kindness touch our hearts and bring encouragement to our wounded hearts and souls. 

How can you show kindness to someone today?
Father,
I have no words to thank You for the kindnesses shown to me over the years.
I only ask that You help me to show those kindnesses to others along the way.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment