Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Laughter

Journal Entries:
July 3, 2003
“Long day at work.  We had a meal and we laughed-that was good.  Came home and just collapsed-I am worn out.  ‘God, thank You for the gift of laughter.’”
July 4, 2003
What a good day!  Tanya came by early and used my computer to print a picture.  I met a friend from Bible Study and we went to Indiana and shopped.  We ate at Southside Inn.  Then home and rested, cleaned, worked on pictures.  Just a good day.  ‘Thank You, Father’”
July 5, 2003
“Spent the day at home alone.  Sorted and framed pictures and organized office closet.  Talked to Tim, Pat, and Hal.  ‘Father, please be with me today-or should I say, let me be aware of Your presence ‘cause You are always with me!’”
Simple days filled with simple happenings.  Even my prayers were simple and to the point.   Came home and just collapsed-I am worn out” about being tired and which is not really such a bad thing is it?  It was the end of a week of emotional happenings and the start of a long holiday weekend.  I don’t know about you but I know that my tendency is to keep going until I know I can relax and just give in to the emotional and physical exhaustion. 
One of the reasons I was exhausted was from the day at work.  I remember this day.  I worked with a great group of women and we loved to laugh when we could.   “We laughed…”  “…gift of laughter.”  We laughed more than usual that day.  Laughter is healing and it can exhaust you.  When you’re already running on fumes it can deplete all your energy in a good way.  That’s what happened this day.  I know that in the days to come there will be a multitude of tears and a heart full of laughter creating times of sheer exhaustion.  I’m grateful for all of this because every tear and every laugh contributed to the healing God was doing in my life.
Then there’s the one green statement found in one of my simple prayers: “let me be aware of Your presence ‘cause You are always with me!’” I realize that I don’t have to ask God to be with me.  He’s promised to always be where I am.  Jesus promised to dwell in me through the presence of the Holy Spirit.  I’m never alone.  I’m never forsaken.  God doesn’t leave me.  I’m the one who forgets He’s there and neglect to draw on the strength and power of His presence.  Jesus spoke about this to His disciples in John 14:20:
Father,
As I read back over my journal I’m so thankful for all the way You touch my life.
Through tears and laughter, family and friends, and work and rest.
Mostly I’m thankful for Your presence in my life as promised in Your word and by Your Son.
What an awesome God You are!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment