Thursday, September 29, 2016

Godwinks

Journal Entry:
October 27, 2003
“Good day at work.  I made a mistake the other day and had to call a lady about it.  I didn’t feel panicked or try to lie.  Just admitted I goofed-big step for me!    ‘I love You Lord.’”
October 28, 2003
“Quiet day at work.  Didn’t have a sad time-big step for me!  Just a nice day.  ‘I love You Lord!’”
No red words.  Lots of blue words.  Two days in a row.  That’s what I call progress.  I previously wrote about how fearful I was of getting into trouble for making mistakes.  I would lie to keep from being blamed for something.  I remember this day well.  There was no fear and no seeking to avoid responsibility.  I admitted to the lady that I had goofed, apologized, and fixed the problem.  And guess what?  I survived and am still alive today to tell about it.  Amazing isn’t it!
Then there’s the “quiet, didn’t have a sad time, just a nice day” day.  Just a nice normal living life day.  Those were rare for me back then.  I like the fact that I was aware of how special these “normal” days and actions were. 
“Big step for me!”  Two big steps in two days!  Wow!  I’m impressed.  Not with me, but with what God was doing in and with me.  I still to this day stand amazed in His presence as He has proven over and over again to me how much He loves and cares for me. 
There have been “big” moments in these years; special events that are unexpected blessings:  Gaither concerts, meeting and getting hugs from David Phelps and Wes Hampton, trips to the beach with family and friends, swimming with dolphins just to name a few.  Things I would have never experienced in my old life and will treasure until the day I go Home. 
However, I have found in my new life that it’s the little things that also touch me deeply: 
a kind encouraging word,

a hug,

a butterfly landing on my wrist and staying there for several minutes, 

a brilliant red cardinal flying past my patio just as I step out the door,

seeing a blue heron in the creek behind my apartment,
and so much more. 
These are often called “Godwinks”; little heart touches that make me smile and glow inside.  Brief blessings that remind me I have a Father who loves me and enjoys surprising me in little ways just as much as He does in the big ways.  If I keep my ears, eyes, and heart open these winks are all around me every day.  I just need to be aware of what He’s doing in my life.  He will never tire of surprising me with gifts of and from the heart.

Father,
Giver of all that is good.
Thank You for the gifts of and from the heart you give each day.
Teach me to open my eyes to Your bountiful beauty.
Teach me to share Your generous gifts.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment