Monday, September 12, 2016

Reflecting on Reflections

E-mail to Cheri about Praise Gathering continued:
Ken Davis is hilarious and edifying all at the same time.  So many things were wonderful but the one event that stood out to me personally happened Thursday evening.  I have had judgmental thoughts towards Amy Grant but I will say I had been rethinking them the past few months for obvious reasons.  She sang Thursday and gave her testimony.  She said she never believed she would be living through the end of a very public marriage, a new marriage, and birth of a child at 40.  She said she felt like a failure but that God does forgive and restore.  I realize we cannot really judge people when we don’t know the circumstances of their lives.  After she finished and walked off the stage, Bill Gaither came up with a man and said he wanted her to sing a song and he had an accompanist for her who needed a job.  It was Michael W. Smith.  She told how he had written the chorus to “Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet” and wanted her to write the verses.  Their families were vacationing somewhere together and she and her sister headed for a cabin that was out in the woods.  It was dark and she has night blindness.  She kept walking into trees.  By the time she reached the cabin she had the words for the verses.  Then they sang it for us.  It was so moving.  God is so good and He does restore what we lose whether we mess up or someone takes it from us or a combination of both.  His Word really does light our way.”
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

When I feel afraid,
And think I've lost my way.
Still, You're there right beside me.
Nothing will I fear
As long as You are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.

I will not forget
Your love for me and yet,
My heart forever is wandering.
Jesus be my guide,
And hold me to Your side,
And I will love you to the end.

Nothing will I fear
As long as You are near;
Please be near me to the end.

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
Thy word is a lamp unto my feet
And a light unto my path.
And a light unto my path.
You're the light unto my path.
Ken Davis: If you don’t know who he is look him up on the internet. He brought joy into my life which is something I really needed at this time.  He’s a Christian humorist who makes you laugh while encouraging you in your Christian walk.  There are too many dour people walking around who profess to be Christians.  When God created us He gave us a sense of humor.  I think that means He wants us to laugh and smile through this journey.  It certainly makes it a lot easier.
Amy Grant:  I was married to a very judgmental person.  I had some of that in me when I married and I learned to agree with him too often.  If you don’t know about Amy’s past I’m not going to talk about it here.  Look it up.  Just know that I did have a judgmental opinion of her.  I’m so thankful that God allowed me to hear her story this night.  I needed this in my life.  It reminded me that I never know the entire story.  I never know what others may be going through that lead to decisions I don’t understand.  But you know what?  It’s not up to me to understand.  It’s between that person and God.  His opinion is the only one that counts. 
“Thy Word is a Lamp Unto My Feet”.  This doesn’t mean that if someone I care about is walking a dangerous path I shouldn’t speak up and share God’s word with them.  It is the light that guides us on this path called life.  Just as His word is the Light that guides those of us who love Him, we’re called to be light in a dark world. 
Speaking of being a light, I am not a true light.  I’m a reflection of THE true light.  I was looking at the moon last night and reflecting (pun intended) on the fact that it doesn’t have its own source of light.  Without the sun it would be a dark orb hanging in space doing nothing.  The same is true of me.  Without THE SON I would be a dark blob taking up space in this world, doing nothing of lasting value.  But because God’s Word fulfilled in Jesus Christ is a lamp in my life and because He shines a light on the path I must take to be a child of God, He can make a difference through me.  Isn’t it amazing that this glorious holy Creator of the universe chooses to allow me to have a part in His eternal work by reflecting His Light!   
Father,
I don’t understand why You chose to allow me to be a reflection of Your Son.
Forgive me for the times I am a poor reflection of who He is.
Create in me a desire to live a life that reflects Jesus Christ in all I say and do.
Thank You for being the Light that guides my way as I seek to live that life.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment