Thursday, September 8, 2016

Simple Gifts

Journal entry:
October 9, 2003
“Got ready to go to Praise Gathering.  Wonderful ride with Hilda-we talked and talked.  The evening session was great.  It was good to see Pat and Bill.  Rebecca, Spencer, and Carter got there as we were headed to the concert.  They called Pat later as it was beginning-Carter had a 103 degree fever so they needed my car to take him to the hospital.”
This is a short concise recount of this day.  There was so much more to it than what I wrote.  I didn’t write any more in my journal until the 13th.  I was having too great a time.  Thankfully, I sent an e-mail to Cheri about some of my experiences that I will share later.  
Let me say first of all that after a trip to the hospital and some medicine and love from his momma and Nana, Carter, who was a baby at the time, was fine.
This trip started off in the best way possible.  Hilda and Bob are the friends I went to Southeast Christian Church with after my marriage ended.  They were friends of my sister and brother-in-law and I knew them before but they became family to me during this time.  They loved me, made me laugh, and welcomed me into their lives like a long lost friend.  There are really no words to describe how wonderful these two people are.  I love them dearly.
That Thursday morning I loaded up my car and drove the few miles to their house.  Hilda’s sister Evelyn and brother-in-law Ken were going with us.  Along with Pat’s family they had been going to Praise Gathering for over twenty years.  This was my first time and I was so excited.  Gaither videos and CDs were playing a major part in my healing and recovery.  Now I was actually going to experience their music live and in person.  What a blessing!
I was welcomed with warmth and smiles when I arrived at Hilda and Bob’s house.  What happened next provided a moment that has yet to be forgotten and has caused many a laugh when we’re together.  I had to go to the restroom.  No toilet paper on the roll.  I had to search the bathroom to find it.  When I came out I teased Bob about not providing the necessities for his guests.  I don’t remember the words he used to respond but it was to tease me right back.  This really is a simple thing to most but for me it was special.  I love that fact that I felt free to tease and joke with him.  And he didn’t get upset or angry, he laughed and joked with me.  Only someone who has been where I had can understand the significance of this.  To this day all any of us has to do is mention toilet paper to bring a smile and a laugh.  It’s amazing how something so seemingly simple can mean so much.
Ken and Evelyn arrived and we loaded up the luggage for the trip north to Indy.  Bob rode with them and Hilda rode with me.  This was one of the best trips of my life.  Hilda is one of the kindest sweetest people I’ve ever known and her laugh is infectious.  In fact, we laughed most of the way there.  We were on 75 in Indiana when Hilda saw a sign that said:
And she said:  
“Did you see what that sign said?  It said ‘rear end parts for sale’!  Do you think we should stop and see what they’re selling?”  
We both started laughing so hard I was afraid I was going to wreck.  I don’t remember what was said after that but I do recall the laughter as we rode along.  I hadn’t laughed that much in a long time.  It was a silly moment that still causes laughter these 13 years later.  In fact, last November Hilda sent me this message on Facebook:
“Just passed the sign rear end parts for sale. Bob and I laughed a big one thinking about you driving to Praise Gathering.  You were driving and we laughed so hard I thought we needed to pull over. Bob was ahead with Ken/Evelyn and he saw how we were laughing. Fun remembering.”
These two events, the toilet paper and the sign, were tiny slices of life that made a major impact on me.  I hadn’t always felt free to laugh and to enjoy life.  There was too much fear.  But God was making a change in my life that is reflected in His word:

Over the past years God has restored my dignity and given me the strength to live victoriously.  Best of all I laugh abundantly without fear of what might be done or said.  It’s a freedom I lost for many years.
Never discount or overlook the simple pleasures in life.  They are sweet gifts from a Father who loves to dote on His child.  These are the moments that bring a glimmer to sad eyes and smile to a hurting heart.  And as wonderful as it is to be on the receiving end of these gifts, it’s so much more satisfying and blessed to be the one God asks to deliver His gift.  As you go through your day seek out ways to spread a little Sonshine on a weary world.  You will be amazed at the impact it has on and in your life.
Father,
Thank You for the small moments of joy that add up in my life.
Help me to be one who spreads Your Sonshine as I go about my day.
In Jesus’ Precious Name,
Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment