Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Rest is Good

Thoughts for Cheri:
January 26, 2004
“I am really tired right now.  All I seem to want to do is to sleep.  I know this is a sign of depression but I don’t believe that is my problem.  I am enjoying life; I laugh, I worship, I go to work every day.  In others words, I am living life.”
“This weekend I realized how tired I really am and I thought about the last 32 years and the rest, or lack of it, I got.  I had to go to bed when he went to bed, or at least stay awake until he came to bed.  I had to get up when he got up; no laying around in bed on a lazy morning, that was a sin.  Even when he was gone in the truck I had to call him and talk as long as he wanted, usually after 9 p.m. when the rates were lower.  If I took a nap or went to bed early he always had some sarcastic comment to make.”
“It was even worse when I was out in the truck with him.  Other women who rode with their husbands talked about getting in the sleeper and sleeping while their husbands drove.  Not me!  I wasn’t allowed.  I had to stay up front with him.  And if I did fall asleep in my seat I was teased and ridiculed.  He made a point of telling others about my sleep habits.  Many times we were lucky to get 3 or 4 hours of sleep a day.  That is not good.”
“No wonder I am so tired.  I believe God is giving me this alone time to rest and restore my strength.  I have family and friends who support me and love me.  I do things with family, friends, and church people often.  I need to be alone to deepen my relationship with God and to rest.”
My takeaway from this is that when God gives me a time to rest and be restored I need to embrace it.  I cannot allow the pressures and/or demands of this world to keep me from God’s desire that I rest.  He rested as an example to His people.  He doesn’t demand that we be busy all the time.  I like this saying that I found:
Being busy is not what God wants.  Being still and listening for His plans for the work we can do for His kingdom is what He wants.  When we are too busy to hear His voice Satan has won the battle.  When one of God’s children ceases striving Satan gets worried.  I don’t know about you but I believe worrying him is a victory in itself.  We just need to make that in this time of rest we listen for God’s voice. Then we can be ready to do what He asks us to do.
Father,
Forgive me for the times I get caught up in the busyness of this world.
Remind me daily that I need times of rest and restoration.
Teach me to listen for Your voice.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment