Monday, January 16, 2017

Which Way Do I Go?

I have to admit I’m having tough time coming up with something to write about for most of this week so I decided to just start typing and see where God leads me.  He always does you know.
January 2004 began the year off with “normal” days whatever that really means.  In reading my journal it seems that for this week at least my life had settled into a routine.  Church, work, home, and errands.  I had mostly good days it seems with some sad moments. I believe that just as God gives winter for the earth to rest He gave me this time to just be.  I was still trying to find my place in this new life and I was exploring options.  However, I can say now all these years later that the possibilities I was looking at did not come to fruition.  And that’s okay.  I enjoyed the journey because I met some wonderful people and received some positive feedback as to who I was and who I was capable of being and what I was capable of doing. 
The main opportunity I was exploring was going back to seminary to obtain a degree in counseling.  I met with several people who encouraged me in that pursuit.  I even prepared to fill out an application to begin classes.  Needless to say I didn’t and I’m thankful because I like where I am today and I know God brought me here.  However, I’m grateful for the process I went through because I now see it as preparation for the journey God was going to start me on in just a few months; the journey that led to where I am today.
Lessons gleaned from times like these abound.  For me the main one is to keep on keeping on exploring every avenue unless and until God closes the door.  Don’t try to force it open when He does.  That’s a major mistake as I’ve discovered too often in my life.  I believe that as long as He allows me to continue on a particular phase of a journey He has lessons for me to learn.  This was no different.
What did I learn? 
·         To trust Him completely in all areas of my life. 
·         To seek out people who could answer my questions and concerns. 
·         To not allow fear to hold me back. 
·         That He gives me what I need when I need it to be perfectly capable in whatever situation He places me. 
·         To stay connected to Him through prayer and His word as He allows the Holy Spirit to guide me every step of the way.
·         To wait on Him.
These lessons have served me well in the days, weeks, months, and years since.  God has opened and closed doors in big and small ways in my life.  When I seek His face and His plan He never fails me.  When I try to do it on my own it always leads to heartache, failure, or a big mess.  I wish I could say that I never do that but in my humanness I sometimes decide to do it my way.  Contrary to the song by Frank Sinatra doing it my way is not the best way.  Doing it God’s way is the only way to go!  Remember:
Father,
I am so grateful for Your patience with Your child.
I am so grateful for Your guidance in Your child’s life.
Remind me daily Whose way is best.
Then help me to follow it.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment