Thursday, January 5, 2017

Melancholy or Mellow

or
Thoughts for Cheri
January 6, 2004
“I am doing well.  I used the word melancholy to describe how I have felt but this morning I realized mellow is probably better.  I am just kind of here right now.  I am not sad and I am not elated.  I read something the other day that says God gives us rest from every test and I think that is what I have been experiencing, rest is what I really need after last year.”
“I’ve decided that my theme for the year 2004 is going to be ‘New Beginnings’.  I believe that God is going to do marvelous things in my life this year.  I’m excited and open to whatever He has for me.”
Melancholy: “a gloomy state of mind, especially when habitual or prolonged; depression.
Mellow: “a state, atmosphere, or mood of ease and gentle relaxation.
Just put in the definitions to show the difference in these feelings.  I didn’t enjoy times when I was depressed and they have happened.  Thankfully God brought counselors into my life to walk with me through those valleys.  I do enjoy the mellow times.  They do offer rest and renewal when you learn to embrace them and allow God to give you rest. 
I’m thankful I began 2004 with such a time and I’m thankful for the mellow periods I’ve had in the years since.  The valleys make one weary and worn and ready for a rest.  The mountaintop experiences are wonderful but even they need to be followed by a period of rest.  Jesus Himself often withdrew after momentous occasions to be alone.
Too often this world views periods of inactivity as lack of ambition or laziness.  I know for years I was told not doing something was a sin.  It’s not.  Rest is necessary and if we are to follow the example of Jesus we too need periods of stillness and solitude.  We need times when our world is quiet so that God’s voice can be heard and His presence felt.  That’s the benefit to and the reason for these mellow times. 
I’m grateful for the quiet times I spend each day with the Lord.  On the rare days I miss it makes a difference in my attitude and reactions to others.  Just spending 5 minutes a day with Him is life-changing and I can guarantee that the more you do it the more time you’ll want to in tune and listening for His voice.  It’s my sweetest time of the day.  It can be yours too.
Father,
Thank You for quiet times.
Thank You for hearing me.
Thank You for answering me.
Thank You!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment