Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Developing

Thoughts for Cheri:
March 14, 2004
“One thing that has been impressed on me during the past years is how busy people are.  No one has time to listen to anyone any more.  No one has time to spend with friends, family or just people who need a listening ear any more.  I believe go is calling me to a ministry of being, not of doing:  being available, being a friend, and being a listener.”
“I’m not judging people who are busy.  There are seasons in each life when we have to be busy to prepare for God’s work.  I feel like I’ve been busy trying to please a man who I could never please for 32 years.  Now I believe God is telling me to slow down and smell the roses.  I need to take care of myself, not in a selfish way, but in a way that draws me closer to Him and allows me the time, energy, and resources to minister to others.”
“Listen”

"Listening" is not easy.  I’m doing better than I was but it’s still a struggle.  I’m still too “me” centered.  I believe this is one reason God gave me the job of receptionist/ministry assistant at a church.  I’ve had to learn to listen to pastors, ministry assistants, visitors, salespeople, etc.  Mostly I’ve learned to listen to church members.  I’m the ministry assistant to the Senior Adult Pastor and working with these wonderful seniors has been such a blessing.  By listening to them I’ve learned much about life, love, commitment, and more.  I’ve also seen faith in action through these friends who have lived long, productive, and often difficult lives.  I’ve truly been blessed by being in this place at this time of my life. 
“I need to take care of myself, not in a selfish way, but in a way that draws me closer to Him and allows me the time, energy, and resources to minister to others.”  This is the listening that matters and enables me to be a better listener.  God listens to me.  I must take time to listen to Him.  When I spend time each morning with Him my day just goes better.  Everything doesn’t go the way I want it to but my actions and reactions reflect that I’ve been with Him.  That’s what I mean by taking care of myself.  No one takes better care of me than my heavenly Father!
Learn to listen.  You’ll be amazed at the things you learn and the difference you make.  God’s word says to:

Father,
Thank You for teaching me by example to listen.
Increase my desire to listen to You and to others.
Open my ears and heart to hear Your truth and the heart cry of others.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment