Friday, March 10, 2017

Which path?

 
Journal Entry March 10, 2004
“I believe I am to look in Lexington for a job and apartment.”
This one simple statement was the beginning of a monumental journey in my life.  It’s amazing to me how God plants a thought in my brain and a desire in my heart.  The key is listening to His voice and saying yes to His will.  I think about the blessings I would have missed if I had allowed fear to keep me from taking one simple step. 
I had said many times if I could live anywhere (besides the beachJ) I’d live in Lexington.  I loved growing up there.  I never felt at home in the Louisville area but Lexington has always felt like where I belong.  I also had a deep desire to work at a church.  However, this was not just going to fall into my lap.  I needed to step out in faith.
What was that step?  I contacted my friend Molly in Lexington and asked her if she knew of any churches that were hiring.   Then I waited to see what God would do.  I knew that He was in control and would provide the perfect place that He wanted me to be when the time was right. 
Is God calling you to step out in faith?  It’s scary.  If it’s not, it’s probably not from God.  He doesn’t call us to do the easy.  He calls us out of our comfort zone.  He wants us to depend on His strength, His guidance, His knowledge to accomplish His purpose for our lives.  He doesn’t’ force it.  He gives us the choice to follow, to step out, to obey.  And when we do, wow, what a blessing it becomes.  Not easy, not without struggle, not always popular, but always best.
I’ve been on this particular path for 13 years today when I wrote that simple statement.  Today there are signs God is opening a new chapter in my life and I’m excited to see where this path will lead.  On May 1 I will begin working part time at my present job.  I’m opening myself up to what God would have me to do with the free hours each week.   I know He will guide because His word says:

Father,
Fear is not from You.
In Your word You tell us often “Do not fear”.
Help me to always take that first step because it is the hardest.
Thank You for directing my paths.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment