Monday, March 13, 2017

Help in


Journal Entry March 11, 2004
“My devotion this morning says to create a safe place for yourself when you’ve been hurt.  I believe that is what I’m to do right now.”
That first year I did create a “safe place”.  My apartment was my shelter from the world.  The thing is even though it was a safe place for me the feelings of abandonment, sorrow, fear, and every other emotion I was feeling entered the door every time I did.  It wasn’t a safe place because those feelings couldn’t find me there, it was a safe place because I didn’t have to pretend any more.  I could be real and honest with the One who knows me best and who listens and cares.  I could cry, sob, scream into my pillow (it was an apartment after all), laugh, sing, moan, and cry out to God as much and as often as needed.  It was so therapeutic.
The thing is there is only one genuine “safe place” to be found in this crazy world.  I say along with the psalmist:

God alone is my “safe place”.  What’s wonderful about that is because His Spirit dwells within me He goes wherever I go.  I don’t have to “create a safe place”.  He’s in me always.  He’s with me everywhere.  He promised this in His word:

These promises are for the child of God who has invited His Son into his/her life.  Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection made this safe place possible.  He is the One who sends the Holy Spirit to walk with me in this life.  He has hemmed me in before and behind (Psalm 139:5).  There are so many promises in His word of His presence being with me.  I believe He means it!
Psalm 23 is a perfect description of being in the safe place with God: 


Hallelujah!  What a Savior!
Father,
You are my “safe place”.
Thank You!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment