Monday, August 29, 2016

Family

Today there will be no journal entries.   I’m to a place where one stage of this journey draws to an end and another begins.  Before I relive the memories from the next phase I feel like I need to thank those who walked through this with me.  Today I will begin by thanking family.
I must begin with my three kids.  Of course they’re no longer kids but to me they always will be my babies.  Hal, Tim, and Tanya have blessed my life since they day each of them was born.  They are the only other people in the world who truly understand the life we lived for all those years because we lived it together.  They know it from their life experiences just as I know it from mine so we all “know” it a little differently.  Still, the basic issues that were present affected all of us.  Let me just say I am so proud of the adults they have become.  They all live responsible lives loving their families and most of all loving Jesus and serving God as He leads.  Hal, Carie, and their kids and Tanya, Roger, and their daughter, and Tim have blessed my life over the years and I’m extremely thankful for all of them.   Tanya checks on me every day by phone.  Tim, since he lives closest to me, is always there to lend a helping hand if I need it.  Hal, even from a distance is available when I need advice or help.  Since the day my marriage ended I’ve always known they love and support me.  Their actions and words have proven that.  I’m truly blessed!
I’ve had no bigger supporters or encouragers over the years than my sister Pat and her late husband Bill.  A few weeks ago I wrote an entire posting about Pat so I’ll just reiterate the fact that she has been there for me from day one.  In fact, she has been the one who has been the most honest with me when I needed it.  I’m so thankful we have become best friends and enjoy spending time together.
Bill.  What can I say about this man?  He came into my life when I was 16 and he started dating my sister.  He became a brother to me.  Even in the difficult years of my marriage his support and love for me and my kids was amazing.  After my divorce he supported and encouraged me in every way possible.  He never doubted that I could succeed.  I can still hear him say “Why not?” when I would tell him I didn’t think I could do something I really wanted to do.  Because of his generosity I’ve delighted in life experiences that I never expected to enjoy.  This was the finest Christian man I’ve ever known and I’m so grateful that God blessed our family with his presence for so many years.  It just wasn’t long enough for us.
My brother Buddy.  He’s 6 years older than me so we were never close as kids.  Thankfully the years since my divorce that has changed.  He walked some of the same paths I have so he’s understood things I’ve gone through.  We don’t talk a lot but I know he’s there if I need a listening ear.  I’m thankful for his love and friendship.
My nieces, nephews, and families have been there for me in different ways.  One of the things I regret is that we all live in different places and life keeps us from seeing each other as often as we might like.  Yet, it’s so good knowing that I am loved by so many people. 
I do want to make special mention of Rebecca, Pat’s daughter.  Because I spend more time with Pat I’ve seen more of Rebecca and her family in the past few years and they have been such a blessing to me.    She’s touched me over and over again with her love and encouragement.  She also brought into my life five of her friends who call me Aunt Ginny.  We have had some sweet and funny times together that have made more of a difference in my life than they can know. 
I’ve had more meaningful and fun times with these people I call family over the past 13 years than I did the entire 32 years of my marriage.  God has blessed me by giving me loving relationships that have helped me heal and grow.  We’ve shared joy, love, laughter, sorrow, pain, and deep grief as family and friends.  I can think of no other people with whom I’d rather walk this path called life than this crazy loving bunch.
Families are not perfect because they are made up of imperfect people.  We disappoint and hurt each other from time to time.  However, I’ve learned in my life at least that when the chips are down I can count on someone in my family to be there for me.   There’s so much more I could say about these people but suffice it to say that their love and support helped carry me through a deep valley.  I will be grateful for that for the rest of my days. 
There is so much more I could say about these special people.  My prayer for whoever is reading this today is that you too have family who love and support you in good and bad times.  Remember:

Father,
Thank You for the family in which you placed me all those years ago.
We may be separated by distance but we will always be joined by our shared memories and heritage.
Remind us of this bond even when the love is hard to find.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment