Thursday, August 25, 2016

Timing is Everything!

Journal Entries
September 21, 2003
“I joined Ninth & O today.  The wife of Jeff, one of the associate pastors, counseled me.  She was very sweet.  Stayed home the rest of the day.  I plan to start choir and evening services next Sunday.   ‘Thank You for a church family.  Help me to get to know them and them, me.  I love You!’”
September 23, 2003
“Slow at work.  Left early to meet with Jeff at church.  Had a good talk.  He will put me in touch with his intern if I want.  She is at Southern Seminary getting her masters in counseling.  I’m going to pray about it because he can refer me to a professor if I desire.  ‘Thank You.  I love You, Lord!’”
September 24, 2003
“Called Ninth & O.  Told Jeff I want to go with the intern.  Her name is Cheri.  She called me and we set a time for this Friday.  Had a quiet evening.  ‘Thank You.  I love You, Lord!’”
September 26, 2003
“Half day.  Cheri came at 4:30.  We talked till after 6.  This is going to be wonderful.  She is so sweet and easy to talk to.  God is so good.  Bad storm came through around 2:30 a.m. but I went right back to sleep.  God is so good!  ‘Thank You.  I do love You so!’”
September 27, 2003
“Nice quiet time at home.  Talked to Tanya.  Got e-mail from Hal.  Went to dessert/choir practice at church.  Really enjoyed it.   Talked to Pat a while.  Then to bed.  Good day!  “I love You, Father.’”
This week marks the beginning of a new chapter in my life; a chapter that would bring laughter, tears, opening and healing of wounds, joy, sorrow, and so much more.  God had given me a period of rest and reflection for the last 6 months.  I was settled into my apartment and had found a church home.  People and events had touched my life and helped me to begin the process of healing.  It was time for major surgery on the wounds I had carried for way too long.  I needed to get to the source and I couldn’t do it alone.  God knew that and to heal me He sent me a wonderful counselor.
This brings me to Cheri.  She had just become an intern at Ninth & O Baptist Church working with Jeff.  When I approached him about needing a counselor he gave me the choice of his intern or a referral to a seminary professor.  That evening it didn’t take God long to let me know the intern was the right choice.  I’m so thankful He did.  I cannot begin to describe or give her enough thanks for the difference she made in my life.  Believe me, I’ve told her many times how grateful I am for her dedication, honesty, piercing questions, quiet faith, and friendship.  She was and is a jewel.  I believe you’ll discover that for yourself in the coming weeks as I post about our times together.  I’m so looking forward to revisiting our sessions and the life-changing discoveries they brought.
Cheri is not the only blessing God brought into my life because of my new church home.  He used this group of fellow believers to embrace and encourage me during the time I was there.  Being back in a choir was such a treat.  Music was an important part of my life for many years and I’d missed it.  I really did feel like I’d come home.
One of the lessons I learn from this time is to trust God’s timing.  Everything had to come together at just the right time for Cheri and me to meet.  I know that my joining the church, Cheri’s beginning her internship through Southern at the same church, and my plea to God just the week before for someone to counsel me were all in His hands.  He truly does care about His child and He does work all things for good in His time.  It’s when I try to handle things on my own that disaster strikes.  I’m just thankful that even then He, when asked, comes in, picks up the pieces, and makes things beautiful.
If you are waiting on God right now don’t give up.  Keep asking, keep taking steps as He leads, and keep trusting.  In His timing His perfect plan for your life will unfold and you will be amazed and astounded at His loving mercy and grace!
Father,
Teach me to always trust Your timing.
You see and know what’s best in my life.
Thank You for loving me even when I mess up
and for healing the wounds that touch my life.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment