Friday, August 5, 2016

My Big Sister!

Journal Entries
July 25, 2003
“Good day.  Had safe trip to and from Winchester to pick up Pat.  Had good talk on trip.  Stopped to see friend I stayed with before I moved into my apartment.  Home.  Tanya, Roger, and Wayne were already there.  Good visit.  Then Pat and I looked at pictures and talked.  ‘Father, thank You for family.’”
July 26, 2003
“Spent the day with Pat-went shopping, got shelves for bedroom and living room and other nice things.  Sam’s-stocked up on paper good, etc.  Went to birthday party with Bill’s family.  Felt sadness.  Spent the night in Winchester.”
This is going to be a little different because it’s written to and about my sister.  I don’t have the words to express how much both Pat and Bill (her late husband) have meant to me over the years.  From when I was little (she is 4 years older than me!), to when she met Bill when I was 16 years old, through the years of raising my kids, through my divorce, and all the years since, Pat & Bill were the ones I knew I could count on when I really needed someone. 
When we were young our relationship was like most big and little sisters.    
             









Pat always looked out for me but I didn’t always appreciate it.  In fact, in my teen years I usually resented it because (believe it or not) I didn’t want her to tell me what to do or how to do it.  Mom and Dad both worked so she was in charge.  I just didn’t want her to be in charge of me.  I could take care of myself quite well thank you!  We had some interesting shouting matches, mostly about how and when to clean the house or do other chores Mom left for us to do.  It’s in looking back now that I see how much she did for me in my growing up years.  I wasn’t easy to raise!  When she and Bill began dating he took me in too and treated me like his little sister.
After we were both married we were still family and she and Bill were still there for me even though we weren’t close.  I do know my kids had many opportunities and other blessings because of Aunt Pat and Uncle Bill.  Uncle Bill was the best example of who and what a father should be for my kids.  When I had major surgery Pat kept my kids while I was in the hospital and let me stay with her for a week since there was no one to take care of me at home.  
I know I didn’t appreciate her enough in those years.  I think part of it was because I was just trying to survive for my kids and myself.  I didn’t feel like I could share what I was going through with anyone, not even my family. I didn’t take part in certain activities or do certain things because of my husband.  I just thought that’s the way it was supposed to be.  Even though she didn’t know or understand why I acted the way I did, she still was there for me and my kids.  That’s love.
To list everything Pat and Bill did for me and my family in their growing up years would fill too many pages.  I do know that each and every gift of time, money, material item, etc. is written in our memory banks and remembered with love and appreciation.
Then April 2003 happened.  My world fell apart.  My kids were grown and on their own for which I’m thankful.  As I wrote earlier, Pat showed up to encourage and support me and she’s been there for me ever since.  I really don’t know where I’d be today without the emotional, physical, financial, and spiritual help given by her and Bill over these years.  It hasn’t been all roses and sunshine.  We’ve had our disagreements but she stuck by me as I learned to express my feelings and my needs in healthy ways.  She provided not only her love and friendship but introduced me to her friends who helped me in a myriad of ways.
I enjoyed so many experiences I’d never known because of their encouraging spirits and generosity.   Gaither concerts, the beach, buying a house, swimming with dolphins, women’s conferences, an on-line writing course, a trip to California, just to name a few.  The last one is major because I flew by myself from Lexington, KY to California.  I didn’t think I could do it but Pat and Bill both encouraged and supported me.  This was one of the first times I knew I could make something of myself with God’s help.  I have tears in my eyes as I type this.  It’s overwhelming!
Then in 2013 something happened that changed our relationship again.  In February our friend Molly and I were in Georgia for a women’s conference at Pat’s church.  We had a great time with Pat, Bill, daughter Rebecca, and her family.   Friday night Pat, Molly, and I came home from the conference, said good night to each other and Bill, and went to bed.  We didn’t know Bill would, in his sleep, leave this world and enter Jesus’ presence early that morning.  This man was the rock of our entire family and he was gone.  It was a tough time for our family.  Still is.
Because of this I became my sister’s support.  Although the circumstances were different many of the struggles she has walked through as a widow are similar to my struggles as a divorcee’.  I’ve been blessed to be able to listen, cry, laugh, and support her in many of the ways she did me.  We both know we have someone we can reach out to when no one else will understand.  We have a bond we didn’t have before.  Neither of us would have chosen to be bonded the way we are by the circumstances that caused it. If we’d had a choice we’d have chosen more pleasant circumstances to bring it about but life doesn’t let us choose.  I do think she’d agree with me about how grateful I am for the relationship we have and the experiences we’ve enjoyed over the last 13 years.  At least I hope she would.  I’m especially grateful for our shared faith in God because that is the foundation of our hope that carries us through each day.
Today we’re both older and a little (I hope) wiser.  We walked through many joys and sorrows.  We've made memories to last a lifetime.  I’m thankful to know that I have a sister I can count on being there for me and that I can be there for when she needs me.  My sister is truly a gift from God.

Father,
You have blessed me in so many ways.
Thank You for my sister who has become my friend.
Bless her in every way with Your presence and love.
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment