Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Finding the Extraordinary in the Ordinary

Journal Entries
In reading over my journal for the rest of August of 2003 I noticed that they were for the most part calm ordinary days.  I decided to glean statements from that time period and just see where God leads me.
August 21-31, 2003
“Good day."
“’Thank You Lord for friendships that last.” 
“Good day.”
“Pat and Bill are taking me to Praise Gathering!”
“What a great day!”
“Wonderful Bible study and worship.”
“God is revealing things to me.”
“I’m going to have myself a retreat this weekend.”
“Spent day at home-didn’t see or speak to anyone but God.”
“Stayed home.  Listened to sermon Pat sent me.”
Ordinary days.  I hadn’t had too many of those during this time.  There were so many new things, new experiences, new people, and new places in my life.  And I was just getting started.  I know God gave me this respite because He knew what was ahead for me.  September would bring several major changes and decisions into my life.  I would experience some extremely difficult days that were necessary for my ultimate healing because they led me to a life-changing decision which I will be sharing in a later posting.  However, these eleven days were peaceful, calm, ordinary day given to me by an extraordinary God.
In these ordinary days I see extraordinary events.  "Good days, friendships, great day, Bible study, worship, God is revealing, retreat, home, sermon" are words that reflect for me the joy of the new everyday life with which God was blessing this wounded soul.  I’ve learned that it isn’t just in the spectacular or amazing events that joy is found.  In fact, I think the joy that comes from deep inside because I know Jesus is experienced on those ordinary days in a unique way.  On wonderful days I feel joy because of what I’m experiencing.  On difficult days if I truly have joy in Jesus it runs as an undercurrent to remind me of who holds me in His hands.  But on ordinary days it’s just a quiet peaceful stream of joy that flows through my life.  After all the years of abuse and fear I treasure those days and enjoy them immensely.   
“Pat and Bill are taking me to Praise Gathering!”  I highlighted this statement in purple  because it’s anything but ordinary.  Praise Gathering was a wonderful weekend worship event that Bill and Gloria Gaither hosted in Indianapolis for many years.  If you’ve read my blog much you’ve seen entries of “watched Gaither videos”.  Pat actually introduced me to them by giving me my very first video from their Homecoming series.  During my years of healing they became a lifeline for me.  I cried, laughed, worshiped, and sang my heart out.  So when they invited me to go with them I was ecstatic.  You will hear more about this when I reach the October entries in my journal.  At this time however the anticipation filled me with joy to overflowing.  To this day I’m still grateful for the gift of this wonderful experience.
I’m ending this posting by sharing a song from the Gaither Vocal Band that reflects the joy found in the glorious freedom God has given me on this earth and for eternity.  Glorious Freedom features my favorite singer of all time, David Phelps.  Enjoy! 


Father,
Thank You for ordinary days that bring extraordinary joy.
Thank You for extraordinary events that bring extraordinary joy.
Thank You for the joy that comes only from Jesus.
Thank You for Joy!
In Jesus’ Name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment